I think we sometimes freak ourselves out with the word "perhaps". It's kind of an intersting word...

per·haps/pərˈ(h)aps/Adverb
1. Used to express uncertainty or possibility: "perhaps I should have been frank with him". 2. Used when one does not wish to be too definite or assertive in the expression of an opinion.

It seems that the word "perhaps" brings with it a certain lack of confidence. I think I use this word too much in my own mind. I say things like, "perhaps I'm not good enough. Perhaps I'm not smart enough. Perhaps someone else should do this. Perhaps God doesn't care about me." Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps. It keeps us from focusing. It keeps us from being awake to powerful moments around us. I'm learning to increase my focus by being awake to small things. Words of encouragement, a smile, a thank you, a pat on the back. Small may feel "too small" and insignificant. However, small things lead to big things. What are you doing to increase your focus?

2 comments:

josh koehler said...

Perhaps the White Sox should have kept Jim Thome. Perhaps.
Is that going to be a sermon series soon?

Mom said...

You are an amazing man!! I love you!